Newcastle set try-scoring record that may never be beaten
By Rugby Onslaught

Newcastle set try-scoring record that may never be beaten

After Newcastle Falcons and Worcester Warriors produced a scintillating 24-24 draw in the Gallagher Premiership a few weeks ago, fans would have known that last Friday’s encounter in the Challenge Cup was going to be as exciting. However, few would have expected the fireworks to start so soon.

It only took Newcastle centre Max Wright eleven seconds to register the first try of the match, and in doing so scored the quickest try in European rugby history. After the Warriors failed to retrieve Newcastle’s kick-off, the No13 pounced on the loose ball to set a record that will be very hard to be beaten.

Take a look:

Both sides produced another gripping contest, with the Falcons securing a 31-26 win this time to avenge their draw. Newcastle director of rugby Dean Richards felt his side deserved to come away with the win, but said there was plenty to work on ahead of their next fixture against Sale Sharks in the Premiership (as they have a bye in round two of the Challenge Cup).

“We’ve won with a bonus point, but the beauty of this squad is they’re very analytical about their performances,” Richards said.

“They’ll know where they’ve gone wrong, and will work hard to put it right for the Sale game on Boxing Day.

“Our guys will admit we weren’t good enough and that we played into their hands a little bit, which is disappointing. But at the same time we’ve come away with the full five points and got our campaign off to a good start in terms of progression through the competition.

“It was a bit like when we drew with them in the league here, and we should have won by a country mile if I’m being honest.

“We allowed them time and again to get back into the game, we showed our inaccuracy in certain areas but at the same time we’ve got that ability to turn it on when we want to.

“We were frustrated, more than anything, although we scored a couple of great tries.

“We came in drawing 21-21 at half-time thanks to a try right at the end of the half, and in the second half we began to understand a little bit better how we wanted to play the game.”