Stunning Duane Vermeulen highlight reel drops revealing Springboks wouldn’t have won World Cup without him
A video surfaced online today revealing just how important Springbok back row Duane Vermeulen has been for the Springboks. The Duane Vermeulen highlight reel is mad!
The Springbok named ‘Thor’ by many fans, features in the video showing some of his top highlights from the past few seasons.
When you think about the World Cup final, he managed to shrug off the challenges of Billy Vunipola and Kieran Read on the way to the final win!
World Cup-winning back row Duane Vermeulen is now a household name in World Rugby. The 33-year-old has made a name for himself in the sport for being utterly dominant over other players in his position.
This video really highlights just how devastating the Kuboto Spears backrower has been recently for club and country.
He truly is the best Number 8 in the World at the moment!
Weighing in at 120kg and being 6ft 3 means that he has never really had players physically dominate him. World star players such as Billy Vunipola and Kieran Read have tried in the past to physically assert themselves against him but it has always been in vain.
Some interesting stats on Vermeulen.
- Along with team-mate Willie le Roux, was among five nominees for the 2014 World Rugby player of the year award, won by New Zealand’s Brodie Retallick.
- Has almost exclusively played at number eight for the Springboks, but also made two recent starts at number seven for them.
- Played for the Emerging Springboks in 2009, when the team held the British and Irish Lions 13-13 at Newlands in their 2009 tour of South Africa.
- Gave a cheeky pass to Fourie Du Preez in the final minutes of the quarter-final match versus Wales at RWC 2015 to propel the Springboks to a 23-19 victory. Duane Vermeulen highlight reel hype!
- Scored his first test try against Argentina in the 2013 Rugby Championship, as the Springboks won 73-13 in Johannesburg.